How to Load Data into Microsoft Azure SQL using Talend
How to Load Data into Microsoft Azure SQL using Talend
Azure SQL Data Warehouse is a cloud-based, scale-out database capable of processing massive volumes of data, both relational and non-relational. Built on a massively parallel processing architecture, SQL Data Warehouse can handle any enterprise workload.
With increasing focus on business decisions in real-time, there has been a paradigm shift in not only keeping data warehouse systems up to date but reduce load times. The fastest and most optimal way to load data into SQL Data Warehouse is to use PolyBase to load data from Azure Blob storage. PolyBase uses SQL Data Warehouse’s massively parallel processing (MPP) design to load data in parallel from Azure Blob storage.
One of Talend’s key differentiators is its open source nature and the ability to leverage custom components, either developed in-house or by the open source community Talend Exchange. Today our focus will be on one of such custom components, tAzureSqlDWBulkExec, and how it can enable Talend to utilize PolyBase to load data into SQL Data Warehouse.
For simplicity, we will key in on the following two scenarios:
- Load data from any source into SQL DW
- Load data into SQL DW while leveraging Azure HDInsight and Spark
Load data from any source into SQL DW
In this scenario data can be ingested from one or more sources as part of a Talend job. If needed, data will be transformed, cleansed and enriched using various processing and data quality connectors that Talend provides out of the box. The output will need to conform to a delimited file format using tFileOutputDelimited.
The output file will then be loaded into Azure Blob Storage using tAzureStoragePut. Once the file is loaded into blob, tAzureSqlDWBulkExec will be utilized to bulk load the data from the delimited file into a SQL Data Warehouse table.
Load data into SQL DW while leveraging Azure HDInsight and Spark
As data volumes have increased so has the need to process data faster. Apache Spark, a fast and general processing engine compatible with Hadoop, has become the go-to big data processing framework for several data-driven enterprises. Talend Big Data Platform (Enterprise version) provides graphical tools and wizards to generate native Spark code that combines in-memory analytics, machine learning and caching to deliver optimal performance and increased efficiency over hand-coding. The generated Spark code can be run natively on an HDInsight cluster directly from Talend Studio.
In this scenario, a Talend Big Data job will be set up to leverage an HDInsight Spark cluster to ingest data from one or more sources, apply transformations and output the results to HDFS (Azure Blob storage). The output file format in the Talend Big Data job can vary between (supported by PolyBase):
- Delimited Text – using tFileOutputDelimited
- Hive ORC – using tHiveOutput
- Parquet – using tHiveOutput / tFileOutputParquet
After the completion of the Spark job, a standard job will be executed that bulk loads the data from the Spark output file into a SQL Data Warehouse table using tAzureSqlDWBulkExec.
tAzureSqlDWBulkExec utilizes native PolyBase capability and therefore fully extends the performance benefits of loading data into Azure SQL Data Warehouse. In-house tests have shown this approach to provide a 10x throughput improvement versus standard JDBC.
BigData Dimension is a leading provider of cloud and on-premise solutions for BigData Lake Analytics, Cloud Data Lake Analytics, Talend Custom Solution, Data Replication, Data Quality, Master Data Management (MDM), Business Analytics, and custom mobile, application, and web solutions. BigData Dimension equips organizations with cutting edge technology and analytics capabilities, all integrated by our market- leading professionals. Through our Data Analytics expertise, we enable our customers to see the right information to make the decisions they need to make on a daily basis. We excel in out-of-the-box thinking to answer your toughest business challenges.
You’ve already invested in Talend project or maybe you already have a Talend Solution implemented, but may not be utilizing the full power of the solution. To get the full value of the product, you need to get the solution implemented from industry experts.
At BigData Dimension, we have experience spanning over a decade integrating technologies around Data Analytics. As far as Talend goes, we’re one of the few best-of-breed Talend-focused systems integrators in the entire world. So when it comes to your Talend deployment and getting the most out of it, we’re here for you with unmatched expertise.
Our work covers many different industries including Healthcare, Travel, Education, Telecommunications, Retail, Finance, and Human Resources.
We offer flexible delivery models to meet your needs and budget, including onshore and offshore resources. We can deploy and scale our talented experts within two weeks.
- Full requirements analysis of your infrastructure
- Implementation, deployment, training, and ongoing services both cloud-based and/or on-premise
- BigData Management by Talend: Leverage Talend Big Data and its built-in extensions for NoSQL, Hadoop, and MapReduce. This can be done either on-premise or in the cloud to meet your requirements around Data Quality, Data Integration, and Data Mastery
- Cloud Integration and Data Replication: We specialize in integrating and replicating data into Redshift, Azure, Vertica, and other data warehousing technologies through customized revolutionary products and processes.
- ETL / Data Integration and Conversion: Ask us about our groundbreaking product for ETL-DW! Our experience and custom products we’ve built for ETL-DI through Talend will give you a new level of speed and scalability
- Data Quality by Talend: From mapping, profiling, and establishing data quality rules, we’ll help you get the right support mechanisms setup for your enterprise
- Integrate Your Applications: Talend Enterprise Service Bus can be leveraged for your enterprise’s data integration strategy, allowing you to tie together many different data-related technologies, and get them to all talk and work together
- Master Data Management by Talend: We provide end-to-end capabilities and experience to master your data through architecting and deploying Talend MDM. We tailor the deployment to drive the best result for your specific industry – Retail, Financial, Healthcare, Insurance, Technology, Travel, Telecommunications, and others
- Business Process Management: Our expertise in Talend Open Studio will lead the way for your organization’s overall BPM strategy
As a leading Systems Integrator with years of expertise in the latest and greatest integrating numerous IT technologies, we help you work smarter, not harder, and at a better Total Cost of Ownership. Our resources are based throughout the United States and around the world. We have subject matter expertise in numerous industries and solving IT and business challenges.
We blend all types of data and transform it into meaningful insights by creating high performance Big Data Lakes, MDM, BI, Cloud, and Mobility Solutions.
CloudCDC is equipped with the most intuitive and user friendly interface. With in a couple of clicks, you can load, transfer and replicate data to any platforms without any hassle. Do not worry about codes or scripts.
• Build Data Lake on AWS, Azure and Hadoop
• Continuous Real Time Data Sync.
• Click-to-replicate user interface.
• Automated Integration & Data Type Mapping.
• Automated Schema Build.
• Codeless Development Environment.
CONTACT THE EXPERTS AT BIGDATA DIMENSION FOR YOUR CLOUDCDC, TALEND, DATA ANALYTICS, AND BIG DATA NEEDS. CONTACT US TODAY TO LEARN MORE!